Born in 1814: After acting as mathematical master at Brook Green, andthen as a surveyor in the west of England, went to London in 1846 and met Robert Stephenson, who appointed him superintending engineer of the Menai Strait Bridge, which was opened on 5 March 1850. In that year he published The Britannia and Conway Tubular Bridges (3 vols). In August 1850 he became engineer to the Electric and International Telegraph Company, and took out the first of several patents for ‘electric telegraphs and apparatus connected therewith’. From then on he divided his time between electric and hydraulic engineering. Clark's Two Mile Telegraph used on LNWR between London and Rugby from 1855. On 4 February 1856 he took out a patent for ‘suspending insulated electric telegraph wires’, but most of his patents were for improvements in dry docks and floating docks, in the methods of lifting ships out of the water for repairs, and for constructing piers.
Clark eventually became an experienced hydraulic engineer with the firm of Clark, Stansfield & Clark, consulting engineers of Westminster, when he was called upon in 1870 by Edward Leader Williams to design a boat lift to raise boats 50 feet from the River Weaver to the Trent and Mersey Canal. Clark designed the original hydraulic structure opened in 1875, which was later replaced by a wire rope and pulley system from 1908 to 1983 before being returned to hydraulic operation in 2002.
He was elected a member of the Institution of Civil Engineers on 3 December 1850, and contributed many papers to their Proceedings, being awarded a Telford medal in 1866 for his paper ‘On the hydraulic lift graving dock’, and a Watt medal in 1868 for those on ‘The durability of materials’. Two years' residence in Buenos Aires, Paraguay, and Uruguay, provided material for his Visit to South America (1878). Edwin Clark died at his home, Cromwell House, Marlow, on 22 October 1894.
ANDERTON BOAT LIFT