Archives
You are currently viewing archive for May 2010
Posted By Robert. Stephenson
Forth Bank Works, Newcastle: Unique ex-GWR pannier tank no 3711 photographed at the Forth Bank works of Robert Stephenson & Hawthorn, Newcastle, in 1958. This unusual locomotive featured in the July 2000 edition of 'British Railways Illustrated' with the following caption... In 1958 Swindon showed new interest in oil burning (following a visit from a particularly effective RS&H salesman, it is sometimes said) and so in April despatched no 3711 to Robert Stephenson & Hawthorn at Forth Bank Works, Newcastle, where it was recorded on 2nd May that year, after conversion. The fuel tank can be seen extending above the bunker while the capped chimney suggests the engine spent some time idle on its sojourn in the north of England. On return to the WR, 3711 was stationed at Old Oak and later at Swindon, but there were no more conversions and it was withdrawn in May 1963 still an oil burner. [With thanks to Bill Jamieson]
Robert Stephenson and Hawthorn
K A Gray [/05/1958] Ref: 29129
 
Posted By Robert. Stephenson

locke

Locke Park was given to the town by Phoebe Locke, in memory of her husband Joseph Locke. It opened in 1862. The Tower was erected in memory of Phoebe by her sister Sarah McCreery, in 1877. Sarah also donated a further twenty acres of land to extend the top part of the park. The land is held in trust by the Council as a park and pleasure ground for the people of Barnsley. It is the Peoples Park.

Joseph Locke was born in Attercliffe, near Sheffield in 1805. He moved to Barnsley when he was five and lived in a house behind Shambles Street on Coal Pit Hill.

He left school at 13 and after various jobs became an apprentice under George Stephenson in 1823. Joseph Locke became a lifelong friend of Robert Stephenson. Locke, Robert Stephenson and Brunel became the worlds leading experts on railway engineering.


Joseph Locke was involved in building the national railway network which is in operation today. He became an MP in 1847 and elected President of the Institute of Civil Engineers. His wife was Phoebe, daughter of the poet John McCreery.
He died suddenly in 1860, aged 55 whilst on holiday.
 
Posted By Robert. Stephenson
 
Posted By Robert. Stephenson

M. Preene

Arup, Rose Wharf, 78 East Street, Leeds, LS9 8EE, UK

From a humble background in the mining communities of Tyne and Wear, with little academic education, Robert Stephenson followed in the footsteps of his father, George, and became one of the foremost civil and mechanical engineers of the early 19th Century. While he is primarily associated with railways, Robert Stephenson had considerable dealings with groundwater during his professional life, applying a rational, empirical approach that would be familiar to modern practitioners. Stephenson’s approach to groundwater issues was probably shaped largely by the years spent battling water-bearing quicksands during construction of the Kilsby Tunnel near Rugby on the London to Birmingham Railway. Careful observations allowed him to conclude that local drainage by use of arrays of wells was possible, without the need to drain the whole aquifer body. Later in his career he advised on public water supplies from the Chalk for London and the Sherwood Sandstone for Liverpool. His careful observations and reasoned interpretation, allowed him to advance the concept of a ‘cone of influence’ around a pumped well and to develop tests and monitoring programmes to assess the impact of new abstractions on existing water features. Today, his work may seem basic, even obvious, but, in the days before the work of Darcy and Dupuit, there were many who disputed his findings. Stephenson preferred to let the facts to speak for themselves, but where this was not possible he vigorously publicised the benefit of applying a scientific approach to the management and control of groundwater.

 
Posted By Robert. Stephenson

titania

 

TITANIA VS AMERICA MATCH RACE: In yachting history 1851 is remembered as the year that the yacht America won the Royal Yacht Squadron's One Hundred Guinea Cup in a race Round the Isle of Wight. That cup, and the contest for which it is now the prize, is world famous as The America's Cup. Schooner America's owners entered the yacht for the cup race before realizing that an owner of an English yacht had responded to the challenge placed by Commodore John Cox Stevens in the RYS Clubhouse soliciting interest in the forthcoming event. The man was noted naval architect and RYS Member Robert Stephenson. The yacht was Titania and the race - a match race of the modern style of The America's Cup competition - took place a week after the more famous cup race.

 
TITANIA'S BRIEF HISTORY: Titania was launched from the Robinson and Russell yard at Millwall on the Thames, in early 1850. Tatania was launched in 1850 and was 84.7 feet long overall with a 70 foot waterline. She was rigged as a schooner.   The Illustrated London News reported the match race, as it later reported the disastrous fire which consumed the yacht in May 1852. Being iron her frame survived the fire and John Scott Russell rebuilt his yacht, renaming her Themis.

 


 
Google

User Profile
Robert. Step...

 
Links
 
Archives
 
Visitors

You have 1286505 hits.

 
Navigation