February 13, 2013 15:48:06
Posted By Robert. Stephenson
Lathe used by George Stephenson at Killingworth Colliery from 1812 - 1818.
No doubt it was old when he got his hands on it, nearly two centuries ago!
Probably had a new cone pulley at some point.
Note the squared centre in the tailstock. Also seen in much more modern US lathes (1840s )
The lathe is in a reconstructed railway workshop in the wonderful Beamish Open Air Museum, County Durham, England.
Beamish, The Living Museum of the North