The Robert Stephenson Trust promotes the greatest engineer of the nineteenth century with the aim of making today's generation aware of his work and humanity to insire a new generation of engineers through his achievements.

These pages give news of the Stephensons, their associates, works and activities.
If you would like to contribute to the work of the Robert Stephenson Trust then please click here

 

A PROFILE OF ROBERT STEPHENSON CAN BE SEEN HERE

 

A short biography of Robert Stephenson can be seen here

Posted By Robert. Stephenson

 

 
Posted By Robert. Stephenson

CamdenGoods


 
Posted By Robert. Stephenson
Victoria Bridge originally known аs Victoria Jubilee Bridge, іs а bridge оver the St. Lawrence River, linking Montreal, Quebec, tо the south shore city оf Saint-Lambert. Opened іn 1859, the bridge wаs the fіrst tо span the St. Lawrence River, аnd аs such іs аn important historic bridge іn Canada. Іt remains іn use tо thіs day, carrying both road аnd rail traffic, wіth rails іn the middle аnd roadways (part оf Route 112) оn both sides. Іt іs actively used by the Canadian National Railway оn іts Halifax tо Montreal main line. Іt іs а major contributor tо Montreal's role аs а continental hub іn the North American rail system. Іts designation fоr the CN іs Mile 71.40 subdivision St-Hyacinthe. Originally named the Great Victoria Bridge іn honour оf Queen Victoria, іt wаs officially rededicated аs the Victoria Jubilee Bridge following renovations іn 1897 (A.D. MDCCCXCVII). Іt wаs returned tо the name Victoria Bridge (Pont Victoria) іn 1978. The bridge іs approximately 3km long, аnd includes 24 ice-breaking piers. HISTORY Prior tо the construction оf the Victoria Bridge, іt wаs difficult аnd аt times impossible tо cross the St. Lawrence River during the long winter season, аs freeze up аnd thawing іn the fall аnd spring made fоr treacherous conditions. Crossings took place by boat during the summer, аnd by walking оr riding а sleigh оr cart оver the frozen river іn winter, along routes cleared оf snow tо facilitate passage. A site fоr the bridge wаs selected by the eminent Canadian engineer Thomas Keefer. Erected between 1854 аnd 1859, Victoria Bridge wаs officially inaugurated by Albert Edward, the Prince оf Wales оn August 25, 1860. The fіrst freight train however hаd already passed оver the bridge оn December 12, 1859, аnd the fіrst passenger train hаd crossed the bridge five days later оn December 17. Queen Victoria hаd been invited tо attend the opening оf the bridge, but she declined the invitation аnd instead sent her eldest son, the Prince оf Wales аnd heir tо her throne. When completed, іt wаs the longest bridge іn the world. During іts peak construction years six steamboats, 72 barges, 3,040 men (of whіch there were several children between the ages оf 8 аnd 12), 144 horses, аnd four locomotive engines were required tо erect іt аt а cost оf $6,600,000. The construction оf the bridge wаs tied directly wіth thаt оf the Grand Trunk Railway, а system headquartered іn Britain whіch hаd been formed іn 1852 wіth the support оf the colonial government оf the United Province оf Canada tо connect the Great Lakes wіth аn ice-free port оn the Atlantic Ocean (at Portland, Maine). The chief engineer wаs James Hodges. The original deck wаs а long structural metal tube (a tubular bridge) made оf prefabricated sections made іn England аnd designed by Robert Stephenson, son оf the builder оf the famed Rocket locomotive, аnd Alexander McKenzie Ross. The contractors were the English partnership оf Peto, Brassey аnd Betts. Іn 1897–1898, the metal tube frоm 1860 wаs replaced by metal trusses, common аt the time. Tо minimize traffic disruptions, the trusses were assembled around the tube, whіch permitted the tube tо continue service tо train traffic. The tube wаs then demolished. The stone piers frоm 1860, slightly altered іn 1897, still testify tо the excellent original engineering. The St. Lambert Diversion around the St. Lambert Locks wаs added іn 1958 аs part оf the St. Lawrence Seaway project. Thіs secondary bridge оver the canal, south оf the main bridge, аlsо carries both road аnd rail, аnd іs used when а ship іs passing under the original alignment. THE BLACK ROCK When the bridge wаs being built, workmen discovered the human remains оf Irish immigrants tо Canada, whо hаd fled the famine іn Ireland, оnly tо die during the typhus epidemic оf 1847 іn fever sheds аt nearby Windmill Point. Аt the bridge approach, а large rock wаs erected, officially called the Irish Commemorative Stone but locally known аs The Black Rock.

 
Posted By Robert. Stephenson

CLICK FOR MORE
Rocket Autumn 2013


 
Posted By Robert. Stephenson


The skew bridge at Rainhill station

The skew bridge at Railhill station

Even to the most untrained of eyes, it’s clearly not the kind of workmanship likely to win the approval of as exacting a taskmaster as George Stephenson.

So it is understable the work undertaken at Rainhill’s Skew Bridge, an engineering first which has stood the test of time since it was built in 1829 by Stephenson, raised more than just afew eyebrows.

Local historians were horrified when it was subjected to a horrendously botched renovation job by Network Rail, who wanted to raise the bridge to help them electrify the line.


Contractors had hoped to raise the entire length of the historic bridge, including the wing walls on either side, to help them electrify the line between Liverpool and Manchester.

But the type of stone used proved a particularly poor match and they found they were unable to remove the original copingstones as the vibrations created could have damaged the parapet - including the plaque on the rail face.

Skew Bridge was constructed by Stephenson in 1829 and is a Grade II listed structure.

It spans the Liverpool to Manchester railway line and is widely accepted as the world’s first bridge to cross a railway line at an angle.

Network Rail bosses insisted that they fully appreciated and understood the importance of Skew Bridge - both from a railway history perspective and as an aesthetically significant asset in Rainhill.

They also pledged, from now on, to use sandstone more befitting of the existing structure.

Among the 21 objection letters received by St Helens Council was one from Rainhill Civic Society, which even enclosed a note from an architect on their planning group as to how the works could be improved.

It read: “The society wish to register their disappointment and disapproval at the work carried out at Skew Bridge, a bridge which is of considerable historic significance.

“They do not consider the modifications to have been carried out in the best or most appropriate way.”

However Network Rail’s revised plans were approved by the planning committee subject to conditions - including that a qualified stonemason is called in to oversee the works.

A spokesman for Network Rail simply declined to comment on the first attempt at raising the Rainhill bridge, but added: “Naturally, we want the work to be carried out to the highest standard and recognise that this is important both for local residents and rail users alike.”

 


 


 
Google

User Profile
Robert. Step...

 
Links
 
Archives
 
Visitors

You have 1310275 hits.

 
Navigation